Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chapter 24. Only doing 1 chapter per day now. :P

Chapter twenty-four- Alia, Matthew, and the Order
         
I woke up to a sudden burst of heat, even hotter than yesterday. My hair was plastered to my forehead, and a white robe hung over by my bedside.
          Why was it so hot? I looked over to Sierra’s side of the room, and she was writing at her desk frantically. Sitting up in bed, she turned her head towards me at the sound. She then turned back and continued writing. “We’ve crossed the portal to Krokotopia.”
          I gaped at her. “You mean we are here?”
          She nodded. “I suggest you get dressed- the clothes you wear are going to be way too hot. I also point out that you should wear a hood, to keep your face from the sun.”
          “I don’t understand. I didn’t feel anything.” I put my hair in a pony tail, and picked up the white robes I was given.
          Sierra put her quill down. “There is a Spiral Door in the heart of the Northern Tides. It’s a silent trip to it, but it transports us to the world of Krokotopia.”
          “That’s… Brilliant.”
          “I know.” She continued writing.
          I began pulling off my pajamas, and putting on the new robes. “What are you writing about?” I asked sweetly.
          “It’s called the Legend of the Seekers.” She replied, vaguely interested in me. “It’s about seven chosen wizards trying to fight against evil.”
          I shuddered. It sounded slightly similar to the Seraphina-Alleyen.
          “Sierra?”
          “Yeah?”
          “Do you think I’m wise?” I asked.
          I heard her chuckle under her breath. “I barely know you.”
          I stared at my feet. “Just guess.”
          She locked eyes with me, then. “As the daughter of Sylvia Drake, I would think yes.”
          I nodded. She made a frown. “Why ask such a thing?”
          Just then, before I could answer, the cabin door opened. Ronan stood there, sweating from the heat. “Its time to get off the ship.”
          I gaped. “But I haven’t packed yet!”
          He smiled at me. “Its okay, we are going to take the stuff off the ship for you.”
          “Oh.”
          We walked outside, and I was amazed by what I saw. Brilliant blue sky and a very big desert. From the ship I could see a Market, a large Pyramid, and a bridge that led to somewhere. In the middle of the land, however, was a pond. “What a beautiful Oasis.”
          I looked to my right, and saw a large building surrounded by tents. People scurried around it, going in and out of the building. It looked like a Library.
          “That’s where we are staying. In the tents.” Sierra said, recognizing where I was looking at.
          Walking to the tents, I loved how the sand felt on my feet. I loved the warm breeze and the beautiful sky staring down at me. “I love Krokotopia.”
          “Mmm.” Sierra looked around in wonder. “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
          We ducked into a large tent, our tent, to see a girl sitting in it. She had long wavy black hair, tan skin, and blue eyes. She wore robes of white and green, and held a radiating staff of wood, leaves, and magic. I immediately recognized her as life.
           “Alia, you’re early.” Sierra examined cheerfully.
          “Hey! Nice to see you. How is your Seeker story going?” Her voice was mellow and smooth and curious.
          “Serious writers block, as always.” Sierra smiled. “How’s your biography?”
          “Doing just fine as life is.” She replied.
          “I wouldn’t say that if I were you.” I sighed. They both turned their heads to me. “I’ve seen some messed up crap.”
          The girl named Alia eyed me, and then her eyes widened. “You’re Mary Ravengem!”
          “In the flesh and bones.” I grimaced.
          Sierra threw her bag on the ground. “Mary, meet Alia Lotuspetal, whose is about as famous a writer as me.”
          “Nice to meet you.” I shook hands with her.
          “You too.” Was all she said.
          Sierra cleared her throat. “Mary isn’t evil, Alia.”
          Alia nodded more belief in her eyes by listening to her best friend. However, she wouldn’t look me in the eye.
          “The Headmaster sent a letter to Alhazred. He wants Mary to learn balance magic in the school on the Krokospinx.” Sierra explained to Alia. However, I knew nothing of what she was talking about.
          Alia raised an eyebrow. “But that’s really close to-“
          “I know. However, apparently the Headmaster means business. I think he wants her to be in-“
          “No way.” Alia interrupted.
          “Could you talk to Matthew at the least?”
          “You guys do realize that I’m standing right here, right?” I exploded.
          They ignored me. “I’ll do it, but he’s probably going to have the same answer.” Alia sighed.
          “Can somebody tell me whats going on?” I asked, irritated.
          Alia fixed her eyes on her hands as Sierra spoke up. “It’s complicated to explain when you don’t know any history to Krokotopia. It’s better if Matthew explains it all.”
          “Okay, first of all… Who are these Alhazred and Matthew people?”
          “Alhazred is a very wise teacher. He teaches Balance to people here. The Headmaster sent him a letter, because apparently he wants you to learn there. However, Alhazred is also a member of an Order.” Sierra explained.
          “An Order of what?”
          “It’s called the Order of the Fang. I think the Headmaster wishes you to join.” She frowned. “But I don’t know why… Matthew can probably explain more to you when he arrives. He’s the Order’s assistant and messenger, and a scholar.”
          “What is the Order of the Fang?” I asked, still not understanding.
          “I can’t tell.” Sierra shook her head. “Only Matthew can.”
          “I will go to him now.” Alia stood up and I noticed how tiny and fragile she was. “I will talk to you later, Sierra.” Then she disappeared from the tent.
          I looked at Sierra. “When do you think he will arrive?”
          She looked at her wristwatch. “Tonight.”
          I stared. “Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?”
          Sierra smiled a crooked smile. “I’d rather explain it with Alia firsthand. Plus, its closer to Matthew.”
          “This Matthew guy must be the boss, or something.”
          “Ha!” She laughed. “Just a messenger, but he knows a lot.”
          Just then, a shadow passed over the tent. It was a slender shadow, with a flash of red. I sat up. “Did you see that?”
          Sierra blinked. “No. What did you see?”
          I squinted. “I thought a saw a shadow… I don’t know.”
          “Probably some scholar or adventurer.” She took out her journal, and began to write. She put a strand of snow white hair behind her elfish ears.
          “Hey Sierra?” Looking back at her. “Why are your ears so elfish?”
          She smiled a dazzling sugar-sweet smile. “I’m half elf.”
          “Oh?” I looked up, surprised.
          “Yeah. My mother is elfin. Pretty cool, huh?”
          “Yeah.” I sat back down. The shadow must have been my imagination.
          We stayed in the tent throughout the day, snacking on sandwiches and chatting. Sierra spent most her time writing, while I studied books from Wizard City. I adored reading “Traps and Transformations,” a book about boosting your damaging spells and shielding yourself from upcoming opponent spells: it was written by Mariana Hallowell. It was an interesting process of types of Traps and Transformations.
          In the end, dusk turned to night, and I was still not sleepy. Anxious to meet this Matthew, I stayed up and stared at the tent’s wall while Sierra slept.
          Suddenly, I heard voices and footsteps. When I recognized one of the voices as Alia’s, I rushed over and began to wake Sierra up.
          “Sierra, they’re coming!” I hissed. She opened her eyes suddenly, and shook off the blanket. 
          She walked out of the tent, leaving me alone. I heard a conversation, but not enough to hear the words.
          The tent door opened, and instead of a dainty black haired girl or a half-elf writer, a man with straight black hair pulled into a pony tail and hazel eyes walked in. He fixed me with a stare, and locked eyes with my moonstone color. “Hello Mary, my name is Matthew. Matthew Goldstone; but you may call me Matt.”
          “Hi Matt.” I uttered weakly.
           He sat down on the bench in front of me, the lantern above our heads giving us a serious glow over our faces. “Do you know why I’m here?”
          “They told me that you’re from an Order called the Order of the Fang and that there is a teacher…” Suddenly I couldn’t remember anything.
          Matt shook his head. “So you know little. Do you know anything about Krokotopian history?”
          “No, but everybody keeps telling me that I should know it!” I bunched up my eyebrows. “Whats its history?”
          Matt put his fingers on his chin. “There’s a lot to explain, for you to fully understand the Order.”
          I ran my hands through my hair. “Why does the Headmaster want me to join it?”
          Matt perked up. “So you know why I’m here?”
          “Well, it’s rather obvious.”
          He gazed at me. “You’re in serious business, I can tell. Whatever you’re doing, the Headmaster is accepting and helping. Could you tell me what it is?”
          I shook my head. “Everything I’m doing is top secret. All I can tell you are that I’m looking for things that can help me finish a conflict, once and for all.”
          Matt nodded, but I could tell he did not fully understand. “Then I shall help you as much as I can. But first, you must know the history.”
          Then he started off. “Kroks, as we call them, are the ancient race of Krokotopia. In fact, they are an ancient race from the time the Titans still roamed freely. Yes, the Titans.”
          “They knew much of the elementals magics and were set on the expansion of their empire. They found the Manders, a different race then them, and that they had created a new kind of magic that was a combination of all other magic. The Kroks invaded and enslaved Manders to steal their magic. The Kroks knew first hand of destructive power that the elemental Titans wielded and so no need to learn about the spirit triangle- Life, Myth, and Death. This is why they only built temples to Fire, Ice, and Storm.”
          “Oh?” Surprised at the violent story. “Whats the new magic?”
          He raised an eyebrow. “It’s not quite new anymore… I’m sure you know what it is.”
          Even though confused as I was, he continued the story. “A small group of Kroks saw that this was wrong and not what balance magic was.”
          At the word of balance, I perked up. “They are talking about my element?”
          He nodded. “This small group of Kroks became the Order of the Fang. In understanding that their knowledge of balance was incomplete, they also began to understand that their Krok brothers and the war-ing ways of their people were wrong. The Order found a great balance artifact called the Golden Fang and studied it, they used the knowledge of the Golden Fang to write something called the Krokonomicon, which was to be a bridge between the elemental magic they understood and the spirit magic they lacked. With the help of the Golden Fang, they were able to bridge the gap between the two triangles of magic and use the elemental power source of the Titans to fuel the spirit magic they needed.”
          “So the Order of the Fang was a powerful group, who understood balance magic more than the others.” I nodded, finally understanding. “Were the Manders ever freed?”
          Matt shook his head. “The Kroks still rule today, in the Pyramids. Did you see the large pyramid when you got off the boat?”
          I nodded. “It was rather huge, and it looked like it was made out of sandstone.”
          Matt smiled. “You need to study your stones and gems. However, we can do so in the school of the Order.” He rubbed his temple. “The large pyramid is called the Pyramid of Fire. Its one of the elemental temples the Kroks built.”
          “That makes sense.”
          “Now that you understand the Order, you can go into the school and learn; most likely tomorrow, considering that the Headmaster of Ravenwood wants you to start immediately. However, I won’t allow you to join the Order itself.” He stared at me. “I don’t quite trust you yet, daughter of Malistaire.” 
          I winced, and he left the tent.
          Soon after that, exhausted, I fell asleep. I didn’t hear Sierra walk in later.
          In my little dream land, everything is so fragile… It’s like a play of my deepest wantings and fears…. Of beloved faces, of my mother, of my sister, of my father… Of death.
          I cannot control my nightmares, so dream I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment