Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chapter 17

Chapter seventeen- Porting and Schooling

          The days were so busy; I almost gave up on telling Richard and Abby about my dream. They would be angered from not telling them before, and I still didn’t wish to spoil their merry moods, especially since it was thirteen days from Christmas Eve. I was beginning to think there was nothing they could do, anyways. They have as much power as me, and it would be easier to get to the library and get the job done alone. However, my days were packed with homework and studying, and I couldn’t seem to find any free time.
          Porting lessons were announced to start every morning before lunch, while secondary schools were taught after school, depriving me from going home my usual time. Of course, I chose life-my mother’s school.
          Moolinda Woo, the Life professor, was a very kind and peaceful wom-cow. I still had to get used to that, of the professor being a cow. I actually preferred not to think of it.
 Because of the Professor’s kindness, it was very hard to get in trouble. However, Life students seemed to act perfect. It was a strange class, on how everybody was calm and peaceful, and loving in the classroom. I wondered if it was a magical aura in the room, but maybe it was Life student’s personalities. I seemed to fit in right away, noticing small amounts of my mother in these people. It was as though they were all united as one, but different. I learned to love the Life school more then I thought I would.
“Make sure your wand arm is high and proud, and hold your wand gently. Life is gentle, and so you must be gentle to do the largest of things. Just think of the rain, how gentle it falls. Then think of the impact it has on our world.” The life professor told us gently. “You are the rain, and your spell is the impact. Be the spirit of nature’s elements.”
I treasured her words. Her voice was always soft and pretty, and her spirituality always made sense.
The professor drew a diagram on the board. It looked like a shield, with some kind of leaf picture. “In order to protect yourself completely, you must cast the Absorb Spell. Now, the Absorb spell is a spell that absorbs whatever damage comes your way, until its power is used up. Most wizards don’t use it during the whole battle, considering it takes large amounts of energy.”
The class nodded quietly, arms still up with wands pointed. The professor continued. “If you swish your wand gracefully in a shield shape, and twirl to make it revolve around your body, protecting you from harmful damage.”
Despite the professor being a cow, she danced very well. She swished her wand narrowly and gracefully, as though her word’s imagery was being created. In fact, it was… She spinned, sending her emerald dress twirling. A green aura of a shield flashed in front of her, and it seemed to pulse at everything she did. It took me a moment to realize the green was the spell, not the dress.
She lowered her wand and the spell disappeared, leaving her shield less. She raised an eyebrow in agreement, and the class nodded and began trying to do what she did. It all worked out at the end.
I wondered what it would have been like to be taught by Sylvia Drake.
She was probably the best teacher that Wizard City ever had… If only she wasn’t dead. I smiled sadly at the thought.
For balance, lessons there have also been getting harder, but so far I’ve studied more then needed to, and learned less then I wished. Getting A’s in Life and Balance classes weren’t worth my time- I wanted absolute knowledge. I knew how to block magic, to heal myself with my wand, to hex my opponent and to summon things. I could summon bugs, so far… Not very powerful, but the bugs hurt if they bite you.
But I wanted to learn so much more.
I wondered if there were any other magic, besides nature’s elements. I often look up at the sky, and wonder if the stars could be magic, or if I could use the sun to somehow use magic. However, it seemed too impossible. It would have been figured out by then.
˜•˜
It was seven days until Christmas Eve. I wished I could get the books from the Library so I didn’t have to do the errand during Christmas weekend. However, I was still booked with homework and studying. The day of Christmas Eve, Sunday, was the only free day I had. Our annual Christmas dinner was on Saturday, and my mother never let me go out on those days.
Snow was falling everywhere and I could see snow all over the trees and houses like they were fallen white blossoms. Wizard City was covered in cold, beautiful white, and every time a sunset or sunrise hit the snow, it was like a blank canvas being painted.
After a weekend of studying, this week was focused on Porting. Students were lined up in
Golem Court
, waiting turns to be told what to do. The Fire, Storm, and Myth teachers were here. I suppose the other teachers were doing something else. Professor Drake, the Myth teacher, called my name.
Out of all teachers to teach me, it had to be him. I grimaced as I walked over to him. It was Malistaire Drake’s brother, after all…
Professor Drake glared at me, his cold blue eyes showing clear hatred. I wondered why he despised me so much. “Wipe that disgusting look off your face, young lady.” His voice was nowhere near polite.
I scowled, but I did what I was told. I let my moonstone eyes work into my anger instead. I knew I had fire showing in my eyes, if only he would look up at them!
But he stood there, clipboard in hand, writing. I felt like I was being exposed and tested, and I haven’t even started yet.
“What’s your name?” Professor Drake asked me curtly, not looking up.
“Mary.”
He made an irritated noise in the back of his throat. “With a last name.”
“Ravengem.” I answered, trying to control my annoyance in him.
“Alright. Do you know how to Port?” He asked, again without looking up at my fiery eyes.
“Noooo?” Why would he expect me to know how?
He made a tsk, tsk sound, as though I should know. “Too bad, the girl who got through my brother doesn’t even know magic.”
This would have angered me, but I noticed tension go through Professor Drake’s body as he said “brother.”
“I know magic, just not Porting.” I defended myself.
“Indeed.” Professor Drake finally looked up, and into my eyes. I saw a sudden blank expression come through his face, which was very strange. Professor Drake was an easily seen, skeptical and intelligent man. Nobody in their right mind could make a blank expression go upon his face.
But here it was.
And somehow, I wasn’t expecting the reaction I received.
“What?” I asked defensively. I narrowly saw him take in my blonde hair, petite form, and moonstone eyes.
But then he just shook his head. “Nothing. You just remind me of somebody I… Knew.”
I wanted to ask who, but I realized I didn’t want to push it.
Professor Drake lifted his head, as though he was now avoiding my eyes. I wondered who I reminded him of, and I remembered a sudden moment where Adam, in my dream, also recognized my eyes. What was with my eyes, besides moonstone colors? Not many people have the eyes I had, but I never met the man in my life. How could they have recognized me?
“Have you seen Porting before?” His voice was slightly softer.
“I’ve seen the Headmaster do it.” I replied cautiously. I didn’t want to break his peaceful spell.
He was writing things on his clipboard. “I suppose I must teach you everything, then.”
I nodded, and he stepped up to me. He looked twice my height, but did not look at me. Instead, he looked past my shoulder.
He lifted his wand. “You don’t need your wand. Put it down.”
I reluctantly put my wand down on the grass, suddenly nervous that Professor Drake was going to attack me. But it was nonsense. There were teachers around. He threw his own wand on the ground.
“You use your hands. Make it swift- not graceful. Porting includes your hands to be powerful, and for you transport your whole body to another area is a great deal of power. Swish your hands like this-“He swished his arms around himself with intense strength. “And think of the place you wish to go. For now, you must Port a yard away from where you are standing. Do you understand?”
“Yes, Professor. However, is that all that you do?” I asked curiously.
“No. You don’t say you understand and then ask a question. Set your words right.” Professor Drake stiffened. “After you concentrate and make the swishing motion, you have to whisper a spell to make your travel work. Whisper this: Portramaniaco donra.”
“Portramaniaco donra.” I restated.
He nodded. “Now, watch me.” He closed his eyes and made the movement with his arms. “Portramaniaco donra!” He disappeared in a blue flash of light.
I blinked. I wondered where he went, and then I felt his cold hands on my shoulders. His voice was just as cold as his skin. “Now, you try.”
I turned around to face him. I closed my eyes to avoid his shrill gaze, and lifted my hands. Mustering all the swiftness I could do, I began to concentrate on the place I wished to go.  I twirled my feet, and embraced the slight breeze making power serge up in me. I felt it in my veins; my brain was practically pumping the magic of teleportation. 
Portramaniaco donra!” I yelped, and I felt a pull of gravity suck me into some kind of black hole. Everything was a flash of light, as though you were knocked out and then awoken a foot away from where you were standing. I stumbled to the ground, dizzy. However, I noticed I was a yard away-right where I was standing- which, according to me, was a success.
Professor Drake rushed toward me, and took my shoulders with both his large hands, as though seriously concerned in me. His voice sounded scarily worried as well… “Mary- can you hear me?”
“W-what? Yes, of course I can.” I responded. Why was he acting so eerily concerned?
He gazed steadily at my face, still holding me by the shoulders. He still didn’t look directly into my eyes, “Get up.” His voice was curt, but still a slight faint of worrisome.
“Okay?” I bent my legs to get up from my squat position, but suddenly I felt a large, searing pain in my stomach and my head. I yelped out loud and fell back down, holding my head and stomach in immense pain. “What’s wrong with me?” I screamed.
I felt somebody pick me up roughly, and I knew I was screaming. I could feel pain stirring in my chest, my head was spinning and my eyes only saw flashing colors. What was happening? Did Professor Drake do something to me?!?
“Oh… My head!” I wailed.
         



The next hour was in chapters. I couldn’t remember what was between them; I could only see parts… Mostly colors and voices.
My whole body felt numb. I couldn’t feel the breeze, or my head being weighed down, or my body moved from place to place. I didn’t know what was happening, or what I could do. I just lay lifeless, being carried around like a doll.
I knew I was proficient enough to do something, but I just couldn’t feel. Professor Drake showed pure animosity towards me- could he have poisoned me somehow?
“Oh my-“
“Is she going to be okay?”
“Where do we take her?”
I heard my mother’s voice. I smelled the scent of her perfume, and the nutty scent of our home.
I was home. Somebody must have carried me from
Golem Court
to
Unicorn Way
. Who? Who was here, and what is happening to me? So many questions.
“Please help me…” I whimpered. I heard voices, but none of them seemed to respond to me.
 “Get the citrine amulet.”
“The what?”
“You know what I’m talking about!”
“No, only Sylvia-“
“Oh, for goodness sake.” I heard footsteps. Then, a huge bang.
I blacked out. Or passed out. Either way, I felt a shrill, freezing chain put onto my sensitive skin around my collarbone.

No comments:

Post a Comment