Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chapppttterrr 12 :D Quite a long one...

Chapter twelve- the Picnic and the Library

The weekends were always nice, spending time with Richard and going to the Haunted Cave. Today, Saturday, I wished to go to the library.  After waking up with a wonderful sensation of sunshine in my face, I hurried upstairs and made myself some eggs, since my mother was still asleep. I poured myself a glass of orange juice, and I ate my eggs fiercely. I put the dishes in the sink, and hurried to my mother’s room. I knocked on her door quietly.
I heard some grunting in my mother’s room, and I knew my mother had just awoken. I opened the door slowly, and saw my mother strangled within her bed sheets, with her pillows in awkward places and the sheets twisted tightly around her.
“Geez, mom. Did you have a party in your sleep?”
She smiled with her glamorous white teeth, and it almost seemed normal. “Had a restless night’s sleep, that’s all. What do you want, sweetie?”
“I’m wondering if I could go to the library- the one in the Commons.” I answered.
“Sure honey, go ahead. Just don’t buy anything…”
Buy anything? Has she even been to a library before? I chuckled, and closed the door quietly so she could do whatever she wanted. I rushed downstairs, and opened my bedroom door. Sabrina was still sleeping, and I grabbed my bag off my little desk. I closed my door quietly and rushed out of the house.
I never really had been to the library before, so it was interesting when I first stepped in. The walk there was short, since it was the same path to Ravenwood, except you turn left instead of walking forward.
The library was surprisingly small, and nobody seemed to be in the area except the librarian and his apprentice, whom was running around putting books in their proper places. The librarian’s large desk was right in front of the door, right of a large staircase and left to a large machine, which I guessed to be a measuring machine of some sort. I don’t really know why somebody would want to know how much their books weighed.
There were two arched doorways on either side of the machine that was blocked off. You could see that it was a large hall, going so far back that you couldn’t see, despite the blue lamps that were connected to the bookshelves.
The librarian nodded at my in greeting, and I smiled back charmingly. I looked up at the staircase, and where it led to, to see a balcony over the downstairs. I could see more bookshelves of books up there. There could be a million books in here!
Something suddenly hit my head. I immediately turned around and saw a book- in eye level! There was no source of thing holding the book, it was just floating there. It moved over to a book shelve and placed itself into the shelf. When it was placed, I saw another book float out of the bookshelf and move towards another. I gaped at the magical books that seemed to float by themselves. I heard the librarian laugh, and I could tell he was used to the books floating around like some haunted library.
I forced myself to ignore the books, and look more into the non- floating ones. It was amazing how many interested me: The magic of Balance, Traps and Transformations, The study of Life, History of the Spiral.
I sat down at one of the couches and began to read. The first book was the History of the Spiral, since everything seems to be connected with that. Perhaps if I knew more about the Spiral, or supposedly I can call it the ‘universe’, everything would be easier to understand. I opened the book and began to read:
The history of the spiral
The history of the Spiral connects with everything everywhere. It all starts on the planet of Earth, in the town of Salem. The Enchanted people everywhere were discriminated from Mortals, therefore burnings and hangings of Wizards and Witches began taking place in Salem, seriously damaging magic’s population. In order to stay alive, we traveled many places, however the killings didn’t stop. Memory spells were not working on millions of Mortals, and the Wizards had no choice but to leave Earth.
Somehow, nobody knows how, but the Enchanted people found a world behind the burning sun that Mortals could not pass, referring to the capacity of heat that could kill a Mortal if too close. Because of this, Mortals are unable to interact with this world. Out of Wizard’s magical ability to resist the pain of the heat, Wizard’s were able to access this world and make it their own. In honor of their race, they named the world Wizard City, and the Universe as the Spiral. After making their home on Wizard City, the Enchanted began to study the Art of the Spiral, and discovered two other worlds beyond Mortal’s access; Krokotopia and Marleybone. Krokotopia, the world of the ancients, and Marleybone, the world of science. Others are still studying the Spiral, knowing there are more worlds out there somewhere.
I flipped through a couple pages, and saw the headline: History of Ravenwood. I began to read:
Ravenwood, the first school of the Magical Arts, was instituted in 1763. In order to keep magic running, the Great Merlin of Power made the school of Ravenwood after the great Bartebly’s sister, Grandmother Raven. Merlin soon became Headmaster, and elected seven teachers for Ravenwood. Generations of teacher’s were replaced of old age, eventually landing on today’s teachers: Professor Wethersfield, Professor Balestrom, Professor Greyrose, Professor Falmea, Professor Malistaire Drake, Professor Cyrus Drake, and Professor Sylvia Drake. The headmaster happens to be the descendant of the Great Merlin of Power; Merle Ambrose.
Unfortunately, two teachers retired early. Sylvia Drake, the Life professor, died of a sickness on the day of December 24th.
I gasped, and almost dropped the book in shock. December 23rd was the day of my birth, while December 24th was only the day after I was born, on the same year. It’s only a coincidence.
The date was nothing. I wasn’t going to stop learning just because of a scary coincidence. I began to read some more:
Malistaire Drake, the second retired teacher, destroyed his own school building in Ravenwood out of a strange reason. He was soon “retired.” Moolinda Woo, a cow from another world, replaced Sylvia Drake, while Malistaire’s top student, Malorn Ashthorn, had replaced his spot.
Wow, I never knew Malorn was in the history books. I wondered if I would be, after the incident with Malistaire and me. It landed in the newspaper, why not the history books? Nothing would ever be the same.
I closed the book, and began to read some other ones.  Magic of Balance was all the stuff I had heard already from Professor Wethersfield, so it wasn’t much. I put Traps and Transformations, The study of Life, and The study of the Spiral in my bag for later reading. I wanted to go home, and perhaps practice the Scarab spell some more.
I walked out of the library with a smile, and began my trip home. Today was slow, peaceful and beautiful. I closed my eyes halfway home, and savored the warm taste of the sun against my pale skin. I thought of myself flying, wind blowing my hair, shining like the sun. I opened my eyes and laughed a little. What a silly vision…
I noticed some people staring, and I could feel my cheeks turn scarlet. Did I look like a freak, or just pretty? I will never know, and the sooner I get home, the better.
My mother was outside the house, gardening. She was potting new flowers into our little garden in our miniature front yard. She had streaks of dirt on her face, her worn gardening gloves looked like rags.
“Hi mom.” I greeted. I sat by her side, and I could see a slight sweat on her brow.
“Hi sweetie. Did you get any books?”
“Yeah, three. They are so interesting! I wonder if the legend of Malistaire and Sylvia Drake is in every story I read…” I replied.
I saw my mother’s face frown, and her hands harden against her tiny shovel. “Yes, I wonder as well. Did you learn anything new about them?”
I ignored my mother’s sudden attitude against the legend in the books. “Yeah, and it’s creepy, too! Apparently Sylvia Drake died of some sickness the day after I was born!”
My mother coughed, a strange cough, as though she had almost choked. “What else?”
I laughed a little, worried. “Mom, why do you freak out whenever I mention Sylvia Drake?”
My mother’s eyebrows creased, concentrating. “She was a good friend, that’s all.”
“She must have been amazingly beautiful, if you ask me. Everybody thinks she was kind, helpful, and totally selfless. I wish I would have met her…” I told her. This wasn’t a lie- I really did wish I knew Sylvia. The way she had influenced everybody and the books, the strange supposed love of her and Malistaire, the everything.
                    “Yes, nobody wanted her to die.” My mother replied, quietly.
                    “It is so stupid she died of a sickness.”
          “Nobody could heal the injuries this sickness gave her, because it wasn’t the kind that another person could fix. She was eternally broken.” My mother sighed.
          “Eternally broken? Like what?” I asked.
          “Oh, you will understand when you’re older.” Before I could contradict her, she wiped away the mud off her face and spoke. “I was wondering if you, your sister and I would want to have a picnic in the park today, for dinner. You can invite Richard, if you want.”
          “Really?” I gaped. Why would she let me invite Richard? Is she starting to trust Fire students as am I? It’s an amazing discovery that my mother could actually forgive- not my father, but Fire itself.
          “I- uh. Well, I don’t know where he lives, but I am happy to have a picnic. Can we go swimming, too?”
          She smiled. “Yes, that would be nice. Since today’s temperature was hot, I believe the evening tonight will be warm enough to swim in the creek.”
          I was suddenly excited for tonight’s picnic. We could have a bonfire, roast marsh mellows and swim in the creek. Under the stars, it could be the perfect night.
          This will show you, dad. We don’t need you!
          I rushed inside our bedroom to tell Sabrina about the picnic, and her face brightened at the thought of it. “Oh my gosh, what are we going to wear?”
          That indeed was a problem for me. I had no contact for Richard, no idea what to wear, and I knew I must look good. If I look good, I impress Richard.
          “I don’t know, but I have to tell Richard.”
          “Richard?”
          I suddenly realized that Sabrina knew nothing about Richard. In fact, I don’t tell her much about anything related to my social life- not about Abigail, Tara, Emily, Grace, about the desperate girls Victoria and Jasmine, about the teachers and about the legend of Malistaire and Sylvia Drake.
          “Well, Richard is this really cute guy, super nice and all. He’s amazing, and he happens to be my first friend. He’s fire-“
          “Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Sabrina repeated. “Back it up a bit. He’s fire? How the heck did you get mom to let you befriend a fire guy?”
          “Well, it took a while. I don’t really know what made her change her mind.” I explained.
          “I’m surprised she warmed up at all.” Sabrina laughed heartily. “Well, at least I know that we have to dress you up hot tonight.”
          “Oh please.” I rolled my eyes. “Like we have anything pretty for me to wear. All we have is second hand clothes and my robes for the first day of school. Richard already saw my life robes.”
          “We’ll find something-not all our stuff is crap.”
          “Most of it is.” I mumbled. We heard a knock on our door, and our mother peeked through the doorway, still in her gardening clothes.
          “Hi, girls. I’m going out for a bit to buy some marsh mellows and our dinner since, well, you know I can’t cook well. Anyways, I will be back in around a half hour.”
“Okay, mom. We will be here.” I replied. Sabrina just looked down at her lap, a scowl on her face. It was as though our mother’s sweet scent disgusted her nose.
          “Bye girls.” She left the room.
          “You should give mom a chance.” I told Sabrina quietly. I didn’t know if she heard me, but she didn’t speak.
          Since we had nothing to do, I decided to fill Sabrina in with everything. Right now, she wasn’t just my sister- she was my best friend. My secret-teller. I told her about Golem Court, my fear of Malistaire coming after me, my dreams, our mother’s strange letters, about the legend in my history books, about Sylvia’s death and my birth date resemblance, about Emily, Tara, Grace and the desperate girls. I even told her about the Haunted Cave, along with the teachers of Ravenwood and that my professor was an actual dog.
          “Geez, Mary. If I knew all about this- no, I’m saying this wrong. If I were you, my head would explode! How can you stand all this? I mean, the Wizard City newspaper told everybody about the
Golem Court
thing, but I never realized it would be that scary being face-to-face. It’s so weird, what Malistaire said, you know? ‘You’re Alive?’” Sabrina exclaimed.
          “I know, and it is driving me crazy. I want to know about the letters, more about Sylvia, and why mom gets all nervous when I mention this stuff! I wonder if I was Sylvia in my past life…” I pondered this. She died right after I was born- but that wouldn’t make sense. She was still alive when I entered this world.
          “Nah, too superstitious. Plus, she was still alive when you were born.” Sabrina explained.
          “Ugh! If only this stuff was easier to figure out.” I moaned. I ran my hands through my hair in irritation.
          “Well, you’re totally protected under the magic of Questures and Headmaster Ambrose. Nobody gets past them.” Sabrina explained, brushing her hair.
          “I know.” I figure that Headmaster Ambrose was doing something to keep Malistaire away. Now that he knows my name and what I look like, I doubt he won’t come after me. Headmaster Ambrose most likely cast some kind of charm- creepy to know there is magic everywhere, along with fascinating. Everything is fascinating to me.
          Tomorrow, after school, I will go to the Headmaster’s office and confront him. Perhaps if I told him this entire thing, he would believe me. However, for now, I will enjoy this family picnic.
          “I will go confront Headmaster Ambrose.” I decided. Sabrina watched my face closely as I spoke, but I dared not show emotion. “He is the smartest guy around; he will know what to do.”
          “I agree.” Sabrina added.
          I sighed. “At least you don’t have some weird school like me. You figured out your school early, and it actually makes sense.”
          “Yeah. But we can’t know for sure? We might have a balance family member!” Sabrina tried to convince me.
          “Ugh, Sabrina. Remember Grandma?”
          “The one you’re named after? Mom’s mom?” Sabrina asked.
          “No, our dad’s mom.”
          “Yeah, we used to go over there when we knew him…” Sabrina grimaced. “I was told that, anyways. I was only one years old, I think.”
          “Duh. Remember how we would go to her house to visit during the summer?” I asked.
          “Yeah.”
          “Well, I vaguely remember that she had the family tree on the dining room wall. Everybody on the family tree had their school stated under their picture, and none of them were Balance. I know this because, despite my age back then, mom told me about the family tree and she said it was unique that we hadn’t had a Balance ancestor yet.” I explained.
          “Shoot. Well, who can really know if dad was fire or not? Maybe he was really Death.” Sabrina suggested.
          “Mom was with him for three years, Sabrina. Plus, she wouldn’t have two kids without knowing the guy- he’s fire, according to our mother. She wouldn’t lie about his school.” I explained, although she was on to something. Except it was the other way around. “However, if he really was Death, then I think it was him who lied, not our mother. Although I think mom would have figured out after three years, you know? She’s not stupid.”
          “Maybe.” Sabrina looked as though she was in deep thought. “Let’s lay off this subject for today, okay? We are just kids… Well, I am, anyways. We don’t know anything- let’s just wait until Headmaster Ambrose deals with it.”
          I nodded in agreement. I pulled out a book from my bag, and read until I heard our mom walk through the front door. I heard her call my name, and I put my book down to see what she had to say.
          I walked out of my room, and my mother’s face was glowing. “Mary, can you guess who I met at the store just now?”
          “Um, a person?”
          She rolled her eyes in slight annoyance. “Well, yeah it’s a person! Except this person happens to be Richard’s father.”
          I felt my eyes widen. “You met Richard’s dad? How?”
          “He was the one selling me the food, and we struck up a conversation. Funny, isn’t it? He was a very nice man, he was.” Mom explained.
          “Did you ask him if Richard could come over tonight?” I asked eagerly.
          “Well, with a coincidence like that, how could I not? He agreed out of meeting me, and he has heard much about you, obviously everybody has. Richard is coming over at six, so it’s a quarter after five right now. I want you to get ready, okay?”
          I wanted to scream in excitement. I rushed into my room, and Sabrina looked up at me in annoyance. “Who died?”
          “I’m going to die if I don’t get ready! Richards going to be here in four-tea five minutes!” I screeched, opening my closet with great force.
          “Oh my freaking god! Why so early?” Sabrina exclaimed.
          “Mom met his dad at the market, and he told her that Richard will be here at six!” I was now throwing clothes to the floor, trying to find the right outfit.
          “Get in the shower, and I will pick out your clothes.” Sabrina demanded. I did what she was told- despite her being younger than me, she had a very good fashion sense.
          I hurried upstairs, and into the bathroom. I showered, and used the best smelling soaps. While in the shower, I heard Sabrina come into the bathroom.
          “These clothes will look awesome on you, so don’t get them dirty!” Sabrina yelled through the loud water running.
          “Thanks, Sabrina!” I said loudly, and I heard the door close.
          After cleansed, I dried myself and put sweet smelling lotions on me. Only a little, I didn’t want to be too smelly. I put on the clothes, which happened to be a purple bikini, with a beautiful blue, flowery dress to put on over the bathing suit. It was loose at the bottom, so it swirled freely. I wondered where Sabrina found this in my closet…
          I dried my hair, and brushed it until it was soft as silk. I put it in a loose bun, with a strand of golden hair that hung like a crescent moon over my face. I put my mother’s makeup on, so it made my complexion look healthy and beautiful. No, mascara, I thought. I didn’t want any makeup running off my face when I get into the water.
          Before I walked out of the bathroom, I put a slight bit of perfume on me. I smelled myself just in case to see if I put too much on, and I caught the perfect scent of raspberry and a fresh, watery scent. I checked my teeth to see if they were white enough, and put an extra bit of Chap Stick and lip gloss on.
          I looked into the mirror. I was perfect.
          I walked out of the bathroom in glamorous beauty. Sabrina, whom was wearing an orange dress with a red bathing suit under, gaped at me. “Well, you did an awesome job at looking pretty.”
          I swirled in the flowery dress. “You sure it’s not too much?”
          “Like heck its not- you look totally natural, as in naturally beautiful.” Sabrina gazed at me as though I was the weirdest thing in the world.
          “Why are you staring at me like that?” I was beginning to feel uncomfortable.
          Sabrina laughed. “Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just weird seeing my sister going on a date.”
          I twitched. “It’s not a date, Sabrina. We aren’t even together.”
          “But you want to be.” Sabrina smirked.
          “Ugh, shut up. Where is mom?” I asked.
          “Downstairs. She doesn’t look half bad herself.” Sabrina answered with a twinkle in her eye.
          We walked downstairs, and mom was sitting at the couch. Despite how casual it looked, mom looked absolutely stunning. She wore a green, vintage dress with a flowered hat and a blue bathing suit underneath. Her golden hair curled in the perfect way, cradling her shoulder. We could have all passed as rich people.
          She eyed me in the same way I eyed her. Sabrina broke the silence. “Oh my gosh, we all look hot!
          We burst into fits of laughter, and I heard Richard knock on the door

No comments:

Post a Comment