Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chapter 35

Chapter thirty-five—Eyes of Silver

I froze, realizing who was talking. With strong doubt, I couldn’t believe it could actually be her.
What would she be doing here from Wizard City?
The hand moved away from my mouth, and I whirled around the see the face I expected. Taking in her half shaded face, her green eyes, and her raven black hair- I saw that she has grown in the years I’ve seen her last.
“Remember me?” She smirked, putting her pale hand on her hip.
“Abigail.” I breathed out. “What in the worlds are you doing here? In my room?”
“It was the only time I could talk to you. Plus, we need to be alone in what I need to tell you.” Abby spoke and I noted a bit of worry in her voice.
“Sit down.” I ordered, and I took a broom and swiped the glass into a corner with one big blow. Looking up, I saw myself in the mirror. I looked cordial, and not myself. I sighed, and realized how different I must look to Abby. I turned around, and sat next to her on my canopy bed.
          “I’m sorry to frighten you, Mary.” Abby avoided my eyes. “But this thing is… Different.”
          “Why are you here, Abby?” I asked again.
          “It’s difficult to explain.”
          “Just tell me.”
          Abby twirled a lock of black hair with her fingers, standing out in the pale moonlight. “I know why you left, and why you’ve been traveling.”
          I laughed at that, but only to drown out my disbelief. “What are you…? Talking about?”
          Abby grimaced. She sat up, and I watched her as she took the ruby-hilted knife that I unconsciously put on the window sill. Before I knew what she was doing, it was too late- she sketched a gash into her arm before I could shout.
          Blood poured out of her arm, but I didn’t rush to help her. I was hypnotized by what color the blood was.
          It certainly was red- but gold was deeply mixed in the color. Unlike my blood, which was full gold, hers still had the maroon color. “How do you have that gold in your blood..?”
          “I’m half of what you are. That’s why.” She replied.
          “But that doesn’t make sense.” I stared in astonishment at the idea of it. “Your either full Seraphina-Alleyen, or your not one at all.”
          “Do you honestly don’t believe this?” She stuck out her arm, and I winced. She grabbed a thin towel from a rack near the bathroom, and tied it around her arm.
          I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts so I could think intelligently. I sat up, and walked to the door. Abby looked confused when I turned the handle. “Stay here, I’m getting somebody.”
          “Mary, I’m not crazy- you know that..?”
          “I’m not getting some mentalist, Abby. There is somebody who will be able to help you.” I sighed.
          “Oh, by the Fates, you are thinking that I’m crazy! I trusted yo-“Abby cried out.
          “Shut up and sit down, Abby, I’m not getting some kind of enforcement on you. Just wait here.” I left the room, and starting making my way to Nikki’s room silently.
Knocking gently on the door, Nikki opened it suddenly. I gaped at her.
“Light sleeper. I heard voices. Are you alright?”
I stared at her. “Why is everybody in a paranoid mood tonight?”
Nikki rubbed her temple. “Sorry, I just had a dream…”
I raised my eyebrow. “Well, I can’t ask you about it at the moment, even though I wish I could, because something has happened to me, too.”
Nikki’s mouth went into an “o” form. “What is it?”
“Just… Follow.” I replied numbly. I took her wrist, and led her to my door. Bringing Nikki into the room, Abby looked up in surprise. Nikki cocked an eyebrow.
“Who is this?” Abby spoke, eyes burrowed in interest.
“Abby, this is Melissa Nicole, but you can call her Nikki. Nikki, this is Abigail Silvereyes.” I introduced them, and they shook hands awkwardly.
“Who is she…? Is the one of the..?” Abby started, and I interrupted her.
“Nikki is the Seraphina-Alleyen of Knowledge and Remembrance.” I started, and Abby suddenly stared at her with intensity.
Nikki’s eyes widened. “Abby is a Seraphina-Alleyen, isn’t she?”
“Uh… Err…” I stumbled. “She is half  S.A.
Nikki moved her head over near her shoulder, and with a large frown, she spoke: “That’s impossible.”
“I know, but it’s true. I’ve even gotten powers.” Abby murmured. We stared at her.
“Does the S.A. even withhold powers?” I studied Nikki’s face, and she had no expression.
“Of course we do. When I had turned eighteen, all a sudden I saw things.” Abby frowned in displeasure. “Spirits. Ghosts. Spirit animals, even.”
“Spirit animals?” Nikki looked as though she wanted to laugh. “No such thing.”
Abby folded her arms. “I always see a person’s animal at first sight, or at grave danger. Since I’ve met Mary before, I can’t see her animal. However, you Nikki, have a beautiful animal.”
Nikki raised an eyebrow. “And it is..? Not that I’m curious…”
“A pure white owl.” Abby smiled, and she lifted out her arm. I saw six pink marks grow on her arm, as though a bird was perched upon it and its claws her digging into her.
Nikki blinked. “So you can see.”
Abby nodded. “Sometimes it feels like a curse; like when I saw my own parent’s aura’s were black and red, with horrid vultures as their animals. They are pure evil.”
I’ve never seen Abby speak about her parents that way, or even so as abruptly. “So, you can see aura’s too?”
Abby smiled again, but it did not disguise the sorrow in her green eyes.
”You guys have the most beautiful aura. It’s so golden and colorful.” She glanced at her skin. “I have a tint of gold, but not as colorful. Probably because I’m only half Angel.”
I sighed. “You ran away from home, didn’t you? Because of your parents?”
Abby nodded. “I’ve been working as a potion master’s apprentice in the castle. I may be Death, but potion making is so fun.”
“How did you figure out about the S.A.?” Nikki asked curiously.
“Well, I figured out my powers. Then, I saw my aura, which was strange.” Abby looked lost in thought. “And then I connected it with Mary. I remember when Malistaire gave Mary that box, and that he had said that he wanted something from her. What else would Malistaire want but power? So, I figured… Mary’s mother must have put something in that box for Mary, because Mary had special powers that Malistaire wanted.”
“And since Malistaire didn’t have the powers that you figured Mary had, you decided that Sylvia had them instead-” Nikki added thoughtfully.
“My mother was not an S.A. She was only of Angel blood, perhaps a descendant from an Angel, but she wasn’t chosen by the Fates. She thought she was, but she failed, because she wasn’t one of the S.A. She was only an Angel by blood, not by destiny.” I interrupted. “My youngest sister, Sabrina, inherited her father’s blood more than my mother’s. She may have the tiniest bit of Angel blood in her, but not enough to call her an Angel. If she ever could have grown into one, then I don’t know, because she is long dead. I’m quite reminded of that every single Christmas day.” I announced quietly.
Abby and Nikki looked at each other with concern. “I’m sorry to bring that up, Mary, but it had to be said. If we’re going to figure out where Malistaire is and kill him, then we need to bring up our pasts.”
I nodded, understanding. “While we are on the conversation of the past, you could tell us that dream you had, Nikki.”
Nikki nodded, and winced as if she had a headache. Slowly, she began to tell her story:
“I was on the rooftop of a huge clock tower, where the Krokonomicon is hidden. Stars twinkled in beauty, and the sky was black as ebony. There was something wrong with the place, though, because it had this feeling of big regret and guilt. Suddenly, I had heard a chorus of moans, almost in a song, but they were in horrid emotions of moans. Pain, sadness, anger, and betrayal.”
I nodded, and she continued.
“In this place, I suddenly saw you, Mary. It was Mary and Abby.” She looked at Abby sadly. “This was before I met you, Abby; and when I saw you, you were lying on the ground, bleeding and dying.”
Abby shifted her position uncomfortably at the sound of herself wounded. Nikki continued. “Then, there was this woman with marble white skin, and it was glowing and looked so unreal. She had rosy lips, and cheeks were pink as a sunset. Her eyes were moonstone, like Mary and I. In fact, she looked a lot like Mary; she even had the golden hair.”
I frowned. “That sounds like my mother, but… Exaggerated.”
Nikki nodded.
“She began to talk to you, Mary. I couldn’t hear what she was saying, but you began to cry. She circled around you, and she looked as though she was floating. She stroked your face with a finger, and wiped away your tears. All of a sudden, the woman started to glow red, and I saw her eyes grow all white… She had no pupils.”
I stiffened. “So, we were being attacked?”
Nikki squeezed her eyes shut. “I… Don’t remember the ending. I don’t remember if I was there, or if I was just watching…”
Nikki put her face in her hands, trying to remember.
‘Well, we know one thing.” I decided. “That woman wasn’t my mother, because she was dead. Evidently, she was a demon, and I bet she is working for Malistaire.”
“Something doesn’t seem right here.” Abby’s voice shook.
“Well, when the time comes.” I held my knife tightly, wondering if I’d ever let go of it. “We will be ready for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment