Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chapter 4 /: This is only for people who dont know what w101 is

Chapter four-Enrollment
    “What do you mean we have to ‘go’?” I asked.
“Well, I have some things to figure out, such as why Malistaire was here.” He answered. However, I caught some words between his. I knew what else he needed to figure out. He needed to figure out how I am so special and all that. Truthfully, I hope he figures it out because I wouldn’t mind knowing myself.
“But what about my enrollment?” I asked.
The Headmaster patted Richard on the back. “Young Mr. GreenBlade here knows everywhere in Ravenwood, he can show you around.”
Richard smiled at this compliment. “Do we start now, Headmaster?”
“Now would be good, before it gets too dark out.” The Headmaster said, staring out the window at the afternoon sky.
The three of us walked down the stairs, and out of the tower. Gamma swooped down and gratefully landed on his owner’s shoulder. The Headmaster motioned for Richard and me to go, while he walked back to his Estate.
“Follow me, Mary.” Richard ordered, and I did what I was told this time. I looked behind to expect the Headmaster following us, but he was gone. So much magic to learn and he has so much of it that he could disappear! It inspired me.
We walked into the Commons. Everything looked the same as it was before I ran into
Golem Court
. We walked together, and then took a left. There, were the majestic gates of Ravenwood. We walked through them.
When we reached the other side of the tunnel, I gasped. The sight was so breathtakingly beautiful that it was hard to blink. It may have even made me forget what had just happened. The school grounds were decorated in so much nature, so much color. On the right hand side, were the schools of Storm, Ice and Fire. They both had been painted with their school colors. On the left, were the schools of Life and Myth. They were also painted with their school colors. And I knew, behind the thing that interested me more, was the remains of the death house. Behind the fascinating tree of Bartebly, who sat in the very middle of this estate, was the school that Malistaire destroyed.
“Where is the Balance school?” I asked. All schools seem to be visible but the Balance.
“It’s not here.” Richard answered.
“What do you mean it’s not here?” I asked. If I didn’t have a school, then I couldn’t learn! What the hell.
“It’s kind of top secret.” Richard answered. “The older Balance students won’t tell anybody where it is. All we have here is a teacher.”
I will have to put ‘Ask older Balance person about Balance school.’ On my list of stuff to do. They would tell a fellow Balance student, right?
“Can I meet the Balance teacher?” I asked eagerly. There may not be a school to sit in, or a life teacher to talk to, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to meet the teacher of such a strange school for me to get put in.
“Sure, that’s what’s enrollment is.” He chuckled. I felt my face turn hot, and I turned my head to hide it. I followed him by the gates of the largest tree in the world, Bartebly, to see somebody talking to some people who looked my age.
“Is that person, uh, human?” I asked as I looked at the older person talking to some kids. The man had strange ears, and hair seemed to grow through his neck. “Who is he?”
“That man, Mary.” Richard nodded to the man-thing. “Is the Balance Professor. He, well, is from somewhere far away. You’ll see what I’m talking about.”
We walked toward the man, and Richard tapped the man on the shoulder.
What I saw completely freaked me out, but only for a minute. I’ve read books about these kinds of people, but I never thought that we would have one for a Professor in Ravenwood.
The Professor was a dog. Of course, these creatures never really come into Wizard City, so it’s still strange… However, it was an actual dog. How was I ever going to learn about my spells without thinking about the dog talking and walking like a human, wearing a brown suit and a suit case?  It was just so fascinating! Perhaps he is a good teacher- great! Smart? Yeah! Distracting? Not for me.
“Hello, Richard! How are you, my fine lad?” The dog’s voice sounded deep and intelligent.
“Hey! How’s it going, Professor?” Richard asked cheerily. Apparently he didn’t look distracted when he talked to the dog.
“Everything is just swelling in fineness! I love new students, eager to learn!” The dog raised his dog- eye brows.”Speaking of new students, is this one of them?”
“Yes it is, Professor!” Richard said with a wink. I giggled a little, I mean, who can resist a wink?
The dog bent down and whispered in Richard’s ear. Perhaps it was on purpose to be heard, or maybe I have sharp ears. “She’s a pretty girl, you lucky one!”
I felt my face turn hot again, and Richard turned a shade of pink as well. “Professor, not now…”
“Ah, yes we need to continue the enrollment of this new child!” The Professor barked. He bowed to me graciously, and I saw his tail wagging behind him. “My name is Professor Wethersfield, at your service! I specialize in the wonderful art of Balance magic, and I am very willing to teach you everything I know!”
“That’s- that’s good, Professor Wethersfield.” I stuttered. “I really want to learn all about this place.”
“And you will, with such a smart boy showing you around!” Professor Wethersfield barked happily. “And I suppose I should tell you a bit about Balance, eh?”
“Well, yeah.” I chuckled a little bit. This professor was very nice, maybe even funny. I started to relax. “That is your job, Professor!”
“Oh, is it now?” Professor Wethersfield joked. “Well, let’s see. Balance is a school of which if not whole, but in separate pieces.”
“Separate pieces?” I asked. I looked at Richard quizzically, and he just nodded to keep listening to Professor Wethersfield.
“Yes, separate pieces. Many people think Balance is a school like any other, but they are wrong! There are schools, and then there are fills between the schools. You see, Balance is the filling between every school, keeping it at peace when it is meant to be. Because of this, pieces of each school are within Balance, therefore Balance is just like any school, however, and it’s different than any school.”
I understood, but it was still confusing. The school of Balance being all schools, although it’s different from the others? How strange. Everything seemed strange in Ravenwood.
“So really, Balance is all schools, which makes it different from all schools?” I asked.
“Indeed! You hit it right on the target of Balance’s definition! You are going to be very smart, my lady!” Professor Worthington took out a piece of paper, and scribbled something on it. He gave it to me, and it read:
Professor Wethersfield
Balance Professor of Magical Arts
Mary Ravengem has officially finished her enrollment in Balance Magic.
What is this for?” I asked
“It’s something ever teacher has to give to the student to prove they have been through the enrollment.” Professor Wethersfield explained.
“Every teacher?” I asked.
“Yeah, we have to go speak to all the teachers here.” Richard spoke up.
“Why?”
“For special reasons, it’s just the process of enrollment.” Richard answered.
I looked at my wrist watch I received for my ninth birthday. It was 3:30.
“How long will this take?” I asked. My mother wouldn’t like me being late for dinner. She is already desperate to know how my first day went.
Oh Fates! I thought. How was I going to explain what happened in the tower at
Golem Court
?
“Around two hours, it will be fine.” Richard took my hand and he led me away from Professor Wethersfield. We walked up to a building painted in purple and yellow, storm clouds and rain printed along the building.
“This is the Storm school, right?” I asked, looking up at the dark building. “Pretty, but a bit gloomy. “
“You bet.” Richard answered. He led me through the tall doors, and into a very storm – decorated room. Lighting, thunder, rain and wind were printed on the walls, floors and ceilings. Desks were rowed up to a large desk up front, of which a frog in a small jacket was standing upon.
“Why is there a frog in a small jacket on the desk, over there?” I asked Richard, pointing to the frog.
Richard laughed. He took me over to the frog. “Mary, meet the Storm Professor.”
“What-?”
The frog jumped off from the desk, and onto the floor. It stood up on its hind legs, and straightened his purple coat with his webbed fingers.
“But-but he’s a frog!” I gasped.
“So? Your professor’s a dog.”
“Yeah, but talking frogs aren’t in the history books!” I said, irritated.
“Actually, they are!” A very squeaky voice popped out from the frog. The frog jumped to a bookshelf, and pulled out a blue book. He used his webbed fingers to slide the book on the floor, over to us.
“Pick it up!” The frog jumped on another desk in front of us. “Turn to page one-hundred and ninety three!”
I picked up the book, and opened it. I flipped through the pages until I found page one –hundred and ninety three.
“Read the second paragraph to the headline; Storm Creatures!” The squeaky voice was starting to get annoying.
I searched for the headline, and saw the second paragraph. “Do I read it out loud?” I asked.
“Indeed you should!” The frog exclaimed.
I scanned the page, and then began to read:
Frogs are known to be one of the best teachers in Storm magic ever in many centuries. Most frogs lay in the human world of Earth, while some stay here to spread Storm magic to others, or keep it to themselves. One of the most famous frogs of all time is Professor Balestrom, Professor at Ravenwood, School of Magical Arts. He teaches young wizards and witches how to use storm magic, and is a very talented inventor. He is known to have created the Teleporter in
Triton Avenue
, Wizard City.
“Okay, frogs are in history books. “ I snapped the book shut. “Aren’t you supposed to teach me about storm magic, and not famous frogs?”
The frog nodded, and hopped upon his own desk. “Storm magic is an intelligent, intellective school. It is for the most divine learners, and is most likely the most damaging school in Ravenwood. However, many Storm spells seem to mess up, so called ‘fizzles’. Storm students are usually more intelligent than others, along with powerful. We were inherited from the Tritons, in which the place you read in the History of Storm Magic, page one-hundred and ninety three, second paragraph down;
Triton Avenue
was named after us, Tritons and Storm Wizards.”
“Where is
Triton Avenue
?” I asked, curiously.
“I thought you wanted to learn about Storm Magic?” The frog asked.
“Yes, I do! Excuse me, but what is your name again, Professor?”
“Sir Professor Balestrom.” The Professor answered. “And yours?”
“Mary Ravengem, Professor.”
“Alright then. I will sign a piece of paper to show that you have been enrolled in Storm magic.” Professor Balestrom said with a strange, toothy smile, and took out a piece of paper. He wrote the same words on the piece of paper that Professor Wethersfield wrote.
 “That’s all?” I asked. What a quick enrollment! “You aren’t going to say anything more?”
“You don’t need any more information for Storm magic. You know enough to know what to do.”
“To do what?” I asked.
Richard patted my back. “Let’s go, he’s too smart to argue with.” He whispered. We walked out the door, and I was a little annoyed.
“I’m so glad I didn’t get picked for Storm!” I growled. “I wouldn’t be able to stand listening to that squeaky voice!”
Richard laughed. “There are more teachers, trust me.”
“What does that mean?”
But Richard didn’t say a word, and instead he led me to a blue building, with snow all around it.
“I bet you can tell what school this is.” Richard remarked. He put his arms around himself and shivered.
 “Ice, of course.” I said lightly. I glanced at Richard, whom looked extremely uncomfortable. “What’s wrong with you, Richard?”
“I don’t like the cold.” He chattered. “I’m fire, you see…”
“Your- your fire?” I gasped. I felt slightly ashamed of myself, and betrayed.
“Mary, are you ok? You look a little ang-“
“Angry?” I growled. “Yeah, I’m angry! Why didn’t you tell me you were fire?”
He looked at me with a puzzled face. “We just met, Mary. It’s just the way it is, I guess. Sorry I offended you, although I don’t know how…”
I was furious. Absolutely furious. How dare he talk to me when he is fire? How dare I let myself  befriend such an evil school!
“Yeah, right. Of course you don’t.”
“Mary, do you have like, some grudge against Fire or something?”
          “Maybe I do, why do you have to know?” I snarled.
          “Because I don’t want to make you angry!” He said, his voice was getting louder.
          I looked at him. Before I knew him as fire, I saw a true friend. My first friend. Now, I saw a young version of my father, and my mother as me. I shook the vision out of my head. I did not like this boy.
          However, was I taking advantage of fire? Yes, I know it was my father’s school, but I had to give this boy a chance. They can’t all be back-stabbing jerks like my father. I forced myself to take a risk. I wasn’t going to make my father’s selfish choice control my life.
          “Sorry, I just got a little sensitive.” I mumbled. “Let’s go inside.”
          “Err, Mary?” Richard said quietly. “Can I stay outside? The professor in there is really nice; I think you can handle it better than I can.”
          I looked at his shivering form. Surely as a fire student, this wasn’t healthy for him. “Yeah, I got it. Stay out here.”
          “Are you sure your okay?”
          I walked in without him. Inside, everything was very- blue. Snowflakes scattered the walls, and the ceiling. Similar to the Storm school’s building, there were rows of desks with a large desk up front. Except this time, there was no frog. Instead, there was a little fairy.
          She looked like an old woman, chubby and grey hair in a tight bun. Her glasses made her blue eyes twinkle; or maybe it was the light.
          “Uh, hello?”
          The fairy looked at me, and a large, kind smile spread over her face. “Welcome to the school of Ice Magic!” Her voice was small and twinkly, like small bells whistling in the wind.
          “Yes, I’m here for my enrollment.”
          “Wonderful! I just love new students! Let’s see, my name is Lydia Greyrose, although you may call me Professor Greyrose. What is your name, dear?”
          “Mary Ravengem, Professor.” I replied politely.
          “Pretty name, dear!” The fairy flitted around the room, and sat on a tiny chair on her desk. “I suppose I should tell you about the school of Ice, right?” She laughed.
          “The school of Ice is a protective school. It shields many others and you along with a few damaging spells such as making ice giants! We, Ice students, are very honest and trustworthy. Our school’s power is very cold, but our hearts are very warm! Oh, and our natural enemy is the Fire school…”
          “Why is that?” I asked.
          Professor Greyrose smiled. “They’re too burning for our own kind.”
          “Oh.” I had no idea what that meant.
          “Let me sign that piece of paper.” Professor Greyrose said sweetly. She took out a piece of paper, and a pen, and scribbled down onto the paper. She gave it to me with her tiny little hand.
“Uh, Thanks.” I said happily. That was the quickest enrollment so far. And Richard was right-Professor Greyrose was very nice!
Before I walked out the door, I asked Professor Greyrose a question. “Excuse me, Professor. What is Earth?”
Professor Greyrose smiled. “You will learn about that later, dear. Now go finish up your enrollment.”
I knew I still had four more schools to go to.
Richard and I trekked along the way to a very heated school. Richard spread out his arms against the red building, fire sprouted from every corner.
“Ah, the sweet sensation of heat!” Richard exclaimed.
I did not laugh. This school wasn’t my favorite place to go to.
Richard was the first one inside the building and I stepped in second. Inside was very hot and stuffy, with desks rowed up to the big desk. I touched one of the desks, and it was so warm it was almost hot. In the front stood a very beautiful woman, with fiery orange- red hair and sugar brown eyes. She was heart faced and dazzling, wearing a deep red dress that curled like fire at the end. No wonder Richard loved this school so much, the teacher was absolutely gorgeous.
“Welcome, child.” The professor said as we walked up. Richard’s mouth was gaping open like a gold fish.
“Hello, professor. My name is Mary, Mary Ravengem.” I introduced myself.
“Hello, Mary. My name is Professor Falmea. You are to learn the art of fire, yes?”
“Yeah, for enrollment, anyways.”
“Well, I still love an eager learner for schools such as fire.” Professor Falmea chuckled. “You see, the art of fire magic is like a heart of flickering flame. It’s of passion and beauty, along with a fiery doom. You may hear painful things about fire, but you will also always hear the passion and bravery fire students have.”
Yeah. My dad had lots of bravery, for a coward.
“Our enemies are ice, of course, and our gem is the Ruby. Any questions?”
“No, Professor.” I replied.
“Good.” She took out a piece of paper and a quill. Same as before, she wrote down my enrollment on the parchment.
 “Thank you, professor.” I thanked.
“You’re welcome, child.”
Richard and I walked out of the fire school and walked over to the most interesting spot of Ravenwood.
The remains of the Death School.
And oh how sad it looked! It was just a big, gaping hole of air and sky where land and building would have been. Bits of ground looked ripped and violated, viciously destroyed and violently left behind. I wonder who could do such a thing to a landmark, especially one full of kids.
Oh, right. Malistaire would.
“Do we skip the Death school?” I asked.
“No, there is Malistaire’s best student who teaches.” Richard replied.
“Um, isn’t that a bad thing, with Malistaire being all evil and stuff?” I asked.
“Nah, Malorn is a cool kid.”
“Malorn?”
“Yeah, that’s his name, Malorn Ashthorn.” Richard explained.
“Oh?”
“That’s him over there.” Richard pointed to a kid dressed in black, with long black hair covering most of his tan face.
We walked over to Malorn, and he waved at Richard as we approached.
“Hey, Malorn. How’s life?”
“Pretty good. I mean, it’s really stressful being a teacher and all that, but it’s worth it.” Malorn replied with a smile. “Who’s that?”
Richard nodded to me to introduce myself. “My name is Mary Ravengem, sir.”
“No need to call me sir, or professor, or whatever adults like these days. Just call me Malorn.” We shook hands.
“She’s here for the enrollment, Malorn.” Richard explained.
“Okay then, I can do that.” Malorn rubbed his hands together. “The Death school is a school that takes away an opponent’s health, and takes half of it for you. To make it sound more impressive, of course, we already are impressive, but you know what I mean. We Death students drain other’s power and health and use it for our own advantages. We may sound barbaric, but it’s a simple procedure. Our school colors are black and white, and our gem is the Onyx. Anymore questions?”
“Well, that may have been faster than the Ice school!” I laughed.
“I’m a pro.” Malorn chuckled. He took out a piece of parchment and wrote. He gave it to me, rather smugly.
“Thanks.” I said to him, and Richard and I were on our way to the next school.
“Now, you might not like the Myth teacher.” Richard started to explain.
“Why not?” I asked.
“Well, he’s a bit, err, grumpy.”
“I can handle it. If I can handle with my sister, I can handle anything.”
Richard laughed. “You have a sister?”
“Yep. Not the best thing in the world, either.” I said.
We walked up to the Myth school, and it was very orange, yellow and blue. It was covered in fancy designs, and I wondered if this school had the most beautiful architecture. Gold stone was carved onto the building, with light blue paint and drawings of.., Cyclops? Or maybe it was a one-eyed Minotaur… I wasn’t sure.
Richard and I both walked inside. Just like the others, there were desks rowed up to the large desk. Standing there was a very tall, bald man with piercing blue eyes. He looked up, and motioned for us to walk toward him with his large hands.
“Hello, Professor. My name is Mary-“
“I don’t need to know your name, child.” His voice was cruel and independent.
“Uh, ok. I’m here for-“I started again.
“Enrollment, yes. I’m not as stupid as the other teachers. You students seem so predictable.” The teacher drummed his fingers on his desk. “My name is Cyrus Drake. I am the Myth Professor, obviously. You are to call me Professor Drake, am I articulate enough for you?”
Man, this teacher made Professor Balestrom look like a bunny.
“Yes, Professor Drake.” I tried to sound as mature and articulate as I could.
Professor Drake sighed, and crossed his arms. “Myth magic is pure concentration, pure imagination, and all the way real. We are the creators of stories, legends and of course, myths. We are makers of minions and creatures, and are very hardworking. We rival the Storm school.”
Go figure.
“Thank you Professor Drake, for telling me this.” I said politely.
“Whatever, child. Just let me sign this paper so you can get out of my school.” Professor Drake took out a neat piece of paper and wrote with lucid letters, shooting his arm at me to give me the parchment curtly and coldly.
 “Thank you again, Professor Drake.” I said.
“Both of you, I’m done with you! Get out.” Professor Drake growled.
Richard and I both ran out of the school. The professor’s booming voice almost scared the Balance orb out of me.
“I think he liked you.” Richard said as he brushed off a fallen leaf of a tree.
Liked me? Richard, he hates me!” I exclaimed.
“Well, he hates everybody.”
“Then why did you say he liked me?” I asked.
“I don’t know, it looked like he didn’t yell at you as much.” He laughed.
“Whatever, dude!” I giggled. “Where to next?”
“Life school. It’s our last stop.” Richard replied.
“Ok.”
We walked up to a very pretty green building. Vines and flowers grew over it, even in September the blooms of the roses were beautifully grown.
“I like this place.” I said in awe.
“Everybody does, except the Death school, of course.” Richard agreed.
“Let’s go in.” I said happily.
We walked in, and the outside was just like the inside. Flowers and plants grew over the desks, and on the walls. It smelled like flowers everywhere, which was nice.
The teacher looked up, and I realized that she was a cow. Literally, she was a cow. A white cow with black spots, wearing an emerald robe. How could this Ravenwood School get any stranger with all the animals?
“I thought the life professor was a woman.” I whispered to Richard.
“It was a woman, but then she died of a terrible cold.” Richard whispered back. “Her name was Sylvia.”
I walked up to the woman-cow.”Hello, Professor. My name is Mary Ravengem, and I’m here for my enrollment.”
The cow-woman looked at me in the eye, and spoke softly. “Welcome, dear, to the Life school. The precious life school is a school of spirit and music, along with beautiful love and friendship. Everything good is life, and everything spiritual is life. We live in each other and everything, making things grow and making things live their lives. We are Spirits of music and love!”
“Thank you, Professor. Excuse me, but what is your name?” I asked.
The cow-woman said nothing. She just took out a piece of green shaded paper and wrote:
Moolinda Woo.
Life teacher of Ravenwood school of Magical Arts
Mary Ravengem has finished her course of Life Enrollment.
“Thank you again, Professor Woo.” After I read the piece of paper.
“That’s the end of your enrollment, Mary. I think it’s time to go now.” Richard said.
“Is school out already?” I asked.
“Yeah, and I need to get home.”
“I know the feeling.” I very much wanted to go home after this busy day, but how was I going to explain the
Golem Court
incident? My mother will have a heart attack! Not literally, but still…
“Do you know your way home from here?” Richard asked.
“Yeah, it’s just out the gates, through the commons.” I replied.
“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, Mary.”
“Ok, bye. Oh, and thank you for helping me get enrolled.”
He looked at me with a funny face, his large blue eyes twinkling. “No problem.”
“Wait.”
Richard looked back at me. “What?”
“What’s the point of this enrollment?” I asked.
Richard chuckled. “It refers to something you will learn later on.”
“Like what?” Why wouldn’t he answer my question?
“It’s a teacher’s job to tell you, Mary.”
I finally gave up on the question. We both walked out of the Academy, and into the commons. It was around five o’ clock, and the sun was already setting. Richard walked right and I walked to my left. We were totally separated when I entered the
village of Unicorn Way
.
And to my doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment